Municipal Agriculture Office
Qualifications, Powers and Duties.(R.A. 7160)
(a) No person shall be appointed agriculturist unless he is a citizen of the Philippines, a resident of the local government unit concerned, of good moral character, a holder of a college degree in agriculture or any related course from a recognized college or university and a first grade civil service eligible or its equivalent. He must have practiced his profession in agriculture or acquired experience in a related field for at least five (5) years in the case of the provincial and city agriculturist, and three (3) years in the case of the municipal agriculturist.
The position of the agriculturist shall be mandatory for the provincial government and optional for the city and municipal governments.
(b) The agriculturist shall take charge of the office for agricultural services, and shall:
(1) Formulate measures for the approval of the sanggunian and provide technical assistance and support to the governor or mayor, as the case may be, in carrying out said measures to ensure the delivery of basic services and provisions of adequate facilities relative to agricultural services as provided for under Section 17 of this Code;
(2) Develop plans and strategies and upon approval thereof by the governor or mayor, as the case may be, implement the same, particularly those which have to do with agricultural programs and projects which the governor or mayor is empowered to implement and which the sanggunian is empowered to provide for under this Code;
(3) In addition to the foregoing duties and functions, the agriculturist shall:
(i) Ensure that maximum assistance and access to resources in the production, processing and marketing of agricultural and aqua-cultural and marine products are extended to farmers, fishermen and local entrepreneurs;
(ii) Conduct or cause to be conducted location-specific agricultural researches and assist in making available the appropriate technology arising out of and disseminating information on basic research on crops, preventive and control of plant diseases and pests, and other agricultural matters which will maximize productivity;
(iii) Assist the governor or mayor, as the case may be, in the establishment and extension services of demonstration forms or aqua-culture and marine products;
(iv) Enforce rules and regulations relating to agriculture and aqua-culture;
(v) Coordinate with government agencies and non-governmental organizations which promote agricultural productivity through appropriate technology compatible with environmental integrity;
(4) Be in the frontline of delivery of basic agricultural services, particularly those needed for the survival of the inhabitants during and in the aftermath of man-made and natural disasters;
(5) Recommend to the sanggunian and advise the governor or mayor, as the case may be, on all other matters related to agriculture and aqua-culture which will improve the livelihood and living conditions of the inhabitants; and
(c) Exercise such other powers and perform such other duties and functions as may be prescribed by law or ordinance;